Board Roles, Requirements and Guidelines
- Member of FMVA
- Eight hours per month (2-4 hours meetings and 4-6 hours working/developing projects) 96 hours/year.
- Attend 12 board meetings (3 absentees – bylaws states 25%).
- Can’t attend? Email the secretary and president.
- Review board agendas before meetings.
- Add items to agenda.
- Review minutes and vote.
- Board meetings start on time. If president is not there, start the meeting.
- Each board member will be active in at least one committee.
- Attend the committee meetings. Committee meets nine times per year.
- Maintain/regulate/provide structure for the committee (so the committee stays alive).
- Set up committee yearly goals.
- Find people for the committee.
- Establish a chair or co-chairs for the committee (does not have to be the board member).
- Board member will update the board at monthly meetings.
- Board members are encouraged to volunteer and promote FMVA (Some ideas include transportation for art shows, be a visual talks presenter or a workshop instructor, develop a new event, or create promotional items).
- Recruit for and promote FMVA
- Attend FMVA functions.
- Attend four FMVA members’ functions per year (President and VP attend 12 each/year).
- Represent FMVA professionally. Be a cheerleader!
2016 Strategic Plan Update: A Working DocumentThe mission of the FMVA: To educate, encourage, enable and inspire visual artists and their communities. In order to fulfill this mission we have established the following goals and objectives.
|Goal # 1: Be a strong, vocal, and visible leader and advocate for artists in the community.|
|How FMVA attains this goal: -FMVA is a member of Arts North Dakota. -FMVA is a member of Arts Partnership. -FMVA takes local work to regional exhibits. -FMVA assists with community endeavors such as the Sunny the Bison repair and the Sidewalk Poetry fund. -FMVA promotes its members. -FMVA provides guidance to sister organizations in promoting the Visual Arts.|
|Goal # 2: Provide opportunities for the community to gain exposure to local artists and gain an appreciation for their work.|
|How FMVA attains this goal: -Provide opportunities for artists to show their work. -Commit to quality arts programming, while broadening, deepening and diversifying the audiences’ programmed events. -Expand programming reach to the community through the FMVA’s Big Show, Little Show, Constraint Show, Art Educators Exhibit, Holiday Art Sale, and Studio Crawl. -Host Meet and Greets. -Host Visual Talks. -Have a strong presence on social media. -Plan and execute the Gallery Crawl in 2017.|
|Goal # 3: Create and maintain a sustainable, healthy artistic organization.|
|How FMVA attains this goal: -Build the board by strengthening recruitment and developing new leaders and experienced volunteers. -Provide more resources (handbook etc.) to maximize the efficiency of the board and the executive committee. -Increase the engagement of the volunteers who serve FMVA. -Increase the role of committees through effective work for FMVA. -Stay aware of best practices in non-profit organizations (ex. on-boarding in-service). -Create ongoing budget. -Create institutional documents for ongoing endeavors and the organization in general. -Build further community engagement in the arts through partnerships with businesses, non-profits, and government agencies. -Document current practices and maintain records. -Provide board education. -Provide professional development opportunities for members. -Provide opportunities to participate in Arts Lab. -Review and analyze SMART goals. -Encourage audience participation and sponsorships. -Demonstrate a focus on responsibility and sustainability in supporting the arts.|
|Goal #4: Be a communication source for information and education about the artistic opportunities in the community.|
|How FMVA attains this goal: Internal: -Newsletter -Membership Directory and Image Registry (member profiles) -Professional development committee suggestions -Website, Facebook, and Twitter -E-update of events External: -Media releases of events -Facebook and Twitter -Website -Newspaper advertising -Local magazines -Lobby local media to gain recognition and print space -Provide promotional items -Raise FMVA visibility – create FMVA member stories|
|Goal #5: Promote a culture of having more fun with art through social engagements.|
|How FMVA attains this goal: -Be a board member and/or serve on a committee. Draw Ins -Studio Crawl -Art Burn -Critiques -Visiting Artists Studio (VAS) -Gallery Crawl – 2017 -Participate in community events such as ChalkFest, Streets Alive, Pride, Midwest Kid Fest, Share a Story, and Dragon Fest.|